Big Ideas for Curious Minds: An Introduction to Philosophy (Hardcover)
A fun and engaging book designed to harness and develop children's natural philosophical interest.
Without prompting children often ask some of the largest questions about time, mortality, happiness and the meaning of life. Yet all too often their inborn curiosity is not developed and, with age, the questions fall away. This book addresses some of their more complex questions by introducing accessible philosophical concepts from 25 famous thinkers, contextualized in relatable everyday scenarios. Presented in an interactive question and answer format this book takes us to meet leading figures of philosophy from around the world and from all eras--and shows us how their ideas continue to matter.
With discussions about some of the most vibrant and essential philosophical ideas of history, this accessible book functions as an ideal introduction to the subject as well as a charming way to open up conversations between children and adults about the biggest questions we all face.
- FEATURED AS ONE OF THE GUARDIAN'S BEST KIDS' BOOKS OF 2018
- 26 WISE AND VARIED IDEAS: to inspire curiosity in young minds.
- INCLUDES THOUGHTFUL ACTIVITIES: to prompt conversations between adults and children.
- A CHILDREN'S INTRODUCTION TO PHILOSOPHY: inspired by great thinkers such as Simone de Beauvoir, Ludwig Wittgenstein and Plato.
- RELEVANT AND ENGAGING FOR KIDS 9 AND UP: chapters include: Maybe You're Just Tired, Learn To Say What's On Your Mind and Why You Might Feel Lonely.
- FULL COLOR ILLUSTRATIONS BY ANNA DOHERTY THROUGHOUT
About the Author
The School of Life is a global organization helping people lead more fulfilled lives. Through our range of books, gifts and stationery we aim to prompt more thoughtful natures and help everyone to find fulfillment. The School of Life is a resource for exploring self-knowledge, relationships, work, socializing, finding calm, and enjoying culture through content, community, and conversation. You can find us online, in stores and in welcoming spaces around the world offering classes, events, and one-to-one therapy sessions. The School of Life is a rapidly growing global brand, with over 7 million YouTube subscribers, 389,000 Facebook followers, 174,000 Instagram followers and 166,000 Twitter followers. The School of Life Press brings together the thinking and ideas of the School of Life creative team under the direction of series editor, Alain de Botton. Their books share a coherent, curated message that speaks with one voice: calm, reassuring, and sane.